When we talk about Praga on a daily basis, we often mean the entire right-bank of Warsaw. Historically, the name of Praga is associated with the area of ​​today’s Praga North. The name itself does not come from the capital of Czech, but from the word prażyć which used to mean burning. Centuries ago, the area of ​​today’s Praga was covered with forests that were burned down for the new settlement. The first mention of the village of Praga dates back to the 14th century. At the beginning of the 17th century, at the request of Sigismund III Vasa, the Bernardine monks settled here, building the Church of Our Lady of Loreto. In 1648, Zygmunt IV Waza granted Praga city rights. In 1791, Prague was finally incorporated into Warsaw at the session of the Great Seym. In the 19th century, when Warsaw became part of the Russian Empire, Russians began to settle here. The majestic church of Mary Magdalene Equal to the Apostoles was also built for them. Russian troops were stationed here too. To this day, we can see the barracks of the former tsarist army in Praga. During the Prague walk, we will see, among others, the Church of Our Lady of Loreto, which is the oldest temple in Praga. We will go to the Praga Museum, where we will see an exhibition devoted to the history of right-bank Warsaw. The museum located in Rothblid’s house hides traces of its former inhabitants – Jewish wall paintings. While walking, we will go through the Różycki Bazaar, which is still part of the Prague folklore. Finally, he will see a historic vodka factory where famous liquors were produced not so long ago.

  • 01 Cathedral of Saint Michael Archangel and Saint Florian Martyr

    The church is the cathedral of the Warsaw-Praga diocese. It was established at the beginning of the 20th century due to the fact that the Church of Our Lady of Loreto could no longer accommodate the growing number of the faithful. The church designed by Józef Dziekoński refers to the medieval gothic style. It is considered by many experts as a model of Polish sacred architecture. A characteristic feature of the church are two high towers. Initially, they were 75 meters high. In the 1930s they were lowered because of the cracking of the walls due to the weight of the towers' cheeks. In front of the temple, a papal oak from the Chrobry oak consecrated by Pope John Paul II was planted. The interior of the basilica attracts special attention. Right at the entrance, we can see the cross from the surviving Prague Hospital. There is a reliquary with the heart of Father Ignacy Kłopotowski associated with Praga.

  • 02 Church of Our Mother of Loretto

    The church is the oldest temple in Praga. It was built in the 17th century during the reign of King Sigismund III Vasa for the Bernardine Order. Initially, it was a modest wooden church. Only the son of Zygmunt III, Władysław IV, laid the cornerstone for a brick church in the Baroque style. However, the most important thing is what is inside. It is a Loreto house which refers to the house where Mary was born and where Jesus Christ was raised. The first such house was built in the church of Loreto, Italy, hence its name. Currently, although there are no Bernardines here anymore, it attracts many faithful of Warsaw's Praga. Few people know that Our Lady of Loreto is still in the coat of arms of Prague to this day.

  • 03 Ortodox church of saint Magdalena equal to Apostols

    The Prague Orthodox Church was established in 1867 for the Russian population massively who settled here. It was designed in the Byzantine - Ruthenian style by Nikolai Sychev. The patron saint of the temple became St. Maria Magdalena, whose icon was donated by Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna. The church, built on a Greek cross plan, covers two storeys. Inside, we can see a magnificent three-row iconostasis depicting the Annunciation and four evangelists. The most important is the lower part of the temple with the Passion Chapel. Here we can see a copy of the miraculous painting of Our Lady of Iwierska, donated by the monks of Athos. There are also fragments of a mosaic with the head of Jesus and the apostles from the non-existent Alexander Nevsky cathedral. It is worth noting that the church did not suffer major losses during World War II. Currently, it serves as a metropolitan church.

  • 04 Petersburgian Railway Station

    Petersburg Railway Station was established in 1863 as the starting station of the Warsaw-Petersburg railway. It used to run from Warsaw via Vilnius to St. Petersburg. The station was designed by a graduate of the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, Narcis Zborzewski. In 1915, the building was burnt down by the Russians retreating from these areas. In its place, a new building was erected in 1928, intended for the seat of the Directorate of the Polish State Railways. The former railway station changed its name to Warszawa Wileńska. It was related to the name of the street on which it was located and the destination station, which was Vilnius. The monumental neoclassical building designed by Marian Lalewicz referred to Russian architecture from before the October Revolution. Noteworthy is the entrance in the style of the Doric portico and rooms referring to Art Deco. The building was not damaged during the war.

  • 05 Museum of Praga

    The Praga Museum is located in the former Rothblid house. It is the oldest brick tenement house in Praga from 1819. In the museum, we can see numerous copperplate paintings and photographs devoted to the history of the district. The most interesting attraction for visitors will be the remains of the former synagogue located in the outbuilding of the tenement house. We can see the preserved polychromes depicting the Tomb of Rachel in Bethlehem, fragments of the zodiac cycle and the faithful praying at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

  • 06 Różycki Baazar

    The Różycki Bazaar was established at the end of the 19th century on the initiative of a Jewish entrepreneur, Manas Ryba. The founder of the project was Julian Różycki, a well-known pharmacist and philanthropist. The bazaar was built on the Różycki property between Targowa, Ząbkowska and Brzeska Streets. Manas Ryba's house was located at Targowa 56, from where he managed the project. In interwar Poland, the bazaar became one of the leading marketplaces in Warsaw at that time. It is worth mentioning that before the war, it was mainly Jews who traded in the bazaar. After the war, despite the nationalization of the bazaar, private trade still flourished here. The Różycki Bazaar penetrated the consciousness of the inhabitants of Warsaw as part of the local folklore. Although there are fewer stands here, you can still buy the famous dumplings and tripe with oil, such popular during times of socialism and not only.

  • 07 Brzeska Street

    The face of Brzeska is one of the characteristic relics of old Praga. It is worth mentioning that most of the buildings on Brzeska Street survived the war. The oldest buildings on Brzeska Street are the building of the Warsaw-Terespol Railway Technical School and the Vistula Treasury Railway Hospital. On Brzeska Street there are beautiful houses in the style of eclecticism with characteristic facades, which belonged to Jews before the war. They often rented flats to local cab drivers, and railway workers. The Menachem Rotlewi's tenement house is particularly interesting in terms of architecture.

  • 08 Vodka Factory

    On Ząbkowska Street, we can admire a neo-Gothic building from the 19th century of the former Koneser vodka factory. The factory was equipped with modern equipment and was one of the first to be electrified in Warsaw. Already at the beginning of the 20th century, 150 types of vodkas and liqueurs were produced here. In order to facilitate transport, two lines of tracks were connected from the railway siding. In interwar Poland, the plants were taken over by the state, and then their intensive development began. It was then that the production of flavored vodkas and the famous Wyborowa were started. Along with the development of the factory, more and more workers began to be employed at that time, which had a significant impact on the development of Prague's infrastructure. Despite the destruction during World War II, some of the buildings have survived. After the war, the factory was taken over by Warsaw Spirit and Yeast Industries,, Polmos ”. After the fall of the Polish People's Republic, the plant began to gradually fall into debt until it was finally closed in 2007.

  • 09 Ząbkowska Street

    Ząbkowska Street next to Brzeska Street is one of the showpieces of contemporary Praga. It is known that already in the 16th century a road was marked out here. In the 18th century, this area belonged to the Szmul Zbytkower farm. It was then that the settlement began to develop intensively. Already in the 19th century, it was mainly Jewish traders who concentrated there. It was no accident that the Ząbkowska was called Praga Nalewki. At the end of the 19th century, the street was paved and an electric tram was pulled along it. To this day, we can see the original pavement and fragments of tracks. At the corner of Ząbkowska and Targowa Streets, we can see the impressive Szein and Tychoński tenement house from the beginning of the 20th century. A characteristic element is a turret finished with a galvanized dome with a spike. The current finial is a copy and the original is in the Praga Museum.

  • 10 Mikveh

    The mikveh was established in 1914 as part of a wider complex of the Prague Jewish community. There was a synagogue right next to it. Before the war, there was a swimming pool in the mikveh, where pious Jews used to wash them rituals before the Sabbath and holidays. After the war, it was rebuilt and handed over to the activities of the Central Committee of Polish Jews. Inside, elements of the old décor have been preserved - floors and marble stairs. Currently building is a headquater of the Multicultural Humanistic High School. Jacek Kuroń.

  • 11 Sculpture of famous Praga Band

    The originator of the monument is Archbishop Sławoj Leszek Głódź, who decided to repay the honorary citizenship of the capital city of Warsaw. The monument designed by Andrzej Renes refers to backyard bands playing in Praga before the war. The pedestal made of brass presents five figures - a violinist, an accordionist, a guitarist, a banjolist and a drummer. The monument was unveiled in 2006 with the accompaniment of contemporary ensembles referring to the old folklore - Kapela Praska i Różyc Orkiestra. There was also a Kurpie band from village Kadzidło.

  • 12 Michał Berson Educational Building of the Jewish Community

    The Neo-Renaissance building was erected in the years 1913-1914 according to the design of architects Henryk Stifelman and Stanisław Weiss on the initiative of the chairman of the Warsaw Jewish Community, Michał Bergson. It was allocated to a school, an orphanage and a shelter for Jewish children. One of the rooms at that time housed a synagogue intended for teachers and pupils. After the war, it housed the Provincial Committee of Jews in Poland, and in the room of the former synagogue, the Jewish Theater of Esther Rachela Kamińska. In 1953, it became the seat of the "Baj" Puppet Theater, which existed in Poland for the longest time. The building did not suffer any damage during the war and is one of the best-preserved jewish monuments in Warsaw. Its value is also evidenced by the Neo-Renaissance style commonly used in Jewish architecture. Ornamentation with plant and animal elements draws attention, which is a typical decoration of synagogues.


Prices – Tour



Children under 16 years