12 - Church of the Holly Cross

It is known that at the beginning of the 16th century there was a chapel here, which with time was transformed into a wooden church. In the 17th century, a brick temple in the late Baroque style was erected in its place. In 1651 missionaries brought from France by Ludwika Maria Gonzaga settled in the church. During the Russian occupation in the nineteenth century, the tsarist authorities removed the Order of Missionary Priests who returned here only after the First World War. The Order of Missionary Fathers was associated with Fr. Piotr Gabriel Baudoin, commonly known as the caretaker of sick, homeless and abandoned children. On his initiative, a home for abandoned children and a hospital were established in Warsaw. Not everyone knows that in the middle of the church, in one of the pillars, there is an urn with the heart of Fryderyk Chopin.

Go to Top